Avalon Community Garden’s primary purpose is to encourage and facilitate community gardening in Pittwater on a not-for-profit basis. The Garden was started in 2010 by a group of locals who worked with the support of Barrenjoey High School to develop a space that could be used by the local community to grow vegetables, herbs, plants and flowers, and practice sustainable gardening techniques.
Since its inception the Garden has grown in terms of infrastructure, variety of produce and diversity of membership. Members are from all walks of life: tradies, professionals, young, old, novices and gurus. New members are always welcome whatever their skills, experience and interests might be and the level of commitment they feel comfortable with.
Come and enjoy the benefits of community gardening:
- growing your own pesticide free food;
- being part of a connected and resilient community;
- improving your well-being, increased physical activity and reduced stress;
- opportunities to interact meaningfully with new friends;
- time for relaxation and reflection;
- improved connection with nature, and
- recycling and sustainable use of natural resources.
To get involved, take a look at our Facebook page or come and share morning tea at the Garden on a Sunday. You can find us within the grounds of Barrenjoey High School via the southern entrance at 2 Tasman Rd, Nth Avalon.